My first 5K (and a blessed Sunday)

One thing you should know about me: I hate running.

Not dislike, not “well, I could if I put my mind to it”. I avoid playing tag and instead, I opt for hide-and-seek. I play mid-field in football so as I don’t have to cover much distance. I am a goalie in handball. I’m okay with basketball despite my height because the court’s small. I only did endurance class enough to get the passing score (+1) and because our sports teacher in middle school was just so encouraging. I’d rather pay for a relatively pricey gym membership so as to attend the cardio-dance classes even if I have the no-frills, no spending jogging alternative.

I say it again: I HATE running.

It doesn’t help that my left knee’s been wonky since… wow, December 2012, after two falls.

So what in the world was I doing in a 5k?

Well, my brother dear (Chito) pulled me into the National Geographic 2014 Earth Run (“NatGeo Run”), along with his girlfriend (Aileen) and my nephew (Teo). He’s the running freak between the two of us ever since 😛 . My love of them greatly surpass my hatred of running. So!

(Pictures courtesy of my brother via Instagram.)

Which is why I was up at a time when I’m naturally asleep
= 3 freaking o’clock in the A.M.

At least, the NatGeo Run was a “fun run”, so people can take their time — and we did! It was also my nephew’s first fun run, so we have the license to take it easy.

I just laugh and facepalm as to how my brother mastered
the duckface. My nephew has his own interpretation.

We were just briskly walking and laughing all the way, taking selfies at each kilometer landmark — though we missed the 2k one as it was at a crossing and we sprinted past it (Teo was pointing at it, “There! There it is! We need a selfie!” and I had to go, “No baby WE’RE AT AN INTERSECTION.”) The run took place in Bonifacio Global City, and the organization was meh, so we had to watch out for traffic at a lot of points.

Still looking fresh, and awake!
I feel the ~power~ with my Gold Cloth Pandora box t-shirt

I had actually thought that Chito and Aileen would leave me and Teo behind, so I put up a playlist to keep us company. Turned out that I didn’t need it, as we chatted all the way — talked about our current fitness habits, how our weeks went (we all get together at least once a week), what we’d like to eat for brunch and supper later, Teo insisting that Aileen past due in singing his special version of “Do You Want To Build A Snowman?” (“Cielo Please Give Me My Singlet!”); and next thing we know, we were already at the finish line!

Of course, it wouldn’t be a run without actually running. I set the pace for the walk (I do pride myself in my skill of brisk walking for fitness!), and we decided to sprint whenever we had to cross roads.

I was about to curse the ungodly hour I was forced to be up
— then I realized that it’s been a while since I saw the colors of sunrise.
Forget the curses, I’m just as well blessing this great day!

And yes, my nephew, at 12 years old IS AS TALL AS ME NOW AND I’M 30. SOB.

We were all tired. Aileen only had two hours of sleep, Chito had three, and I had four. Teo also got a short one for his age with only 6 hours — but it was all SO worth it. I had an extra workout as Teo leaned on my shoulder and draped around me at certain lengths. So it was like brisk-walking… with weights!

Just a little above 5k since our parking was far from the Start/Finish lines 😛

We didn’t hang around to queue for our loot bags, but did get our free Pokari Sweat. We headed out for some McDonald’s breakfast (another rare treat for us adults since we’re all on the swing shift). On the way to our Dad’s house, Teo and I sang songs from Frozen in the car (I swear to all things good and holy my nephew CAN SING. I don’t care how long it takes, he will be part of a choir or I’ll get him voice lessons!!) We passed by a Sunday market and brought fresh fish, meat and produce. David (my youngest brother) cooked the fish, Chito cooked pork adobo, and I took care of a bitter gourd sauté. Aileen helped us chop ingredients up, and Teo and Dad chilled with games.

It just felt both amazing and strange that I haven’t gone through a full day in which there was a lot of sunlight in a while. The day felt so full, and I almost felt that it could’ve gone on forever.

We went around the new mall that opened, and cooled down at a tea shop. It was still damn hot at 4:00 p.m.

David wasn’t able to join us for the run.
Ah well. Next time.

Yes, I said, NEXT TIME.

We all went home by 6:00 p.m. I took a nap and called a massage therapist in and her skillful hands managed to ease the wonkiness in my left knee. Despite the nap, the energy spent in the “run” still managed to knock me out for a quiet sleep. So after finishing the second season of Uta no Prince-sama, I went to bed.

On top of the happiness having spent so much time with the people I love most, the activity served to jump start my being physically active again. As of today and yesterday, I spent my evening breaks brisk-walking around the city. I don’t know how much distance I covered, but I do brisk-walk for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

… and I find myself looking forward to the next funrun — I’m looking at the Etude House Princess Run in May.

Don’t get me wrong, I still hate running. But time spent with good company and the health benefit brought about by being allowed to brisk-walk overpowers hatred any given time. 😉

About Cielo

I am a paper-pusher by day, a log by night, an aspiring singer-dancer and a wannabe artist in-between. I am also a Professional Space Cadet.
This entry was posted in Family, Health, Milestone and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s